Saturday, January 11, 2014

Hogwart's Castle Cake

If there was one thing that I was nervous about making for Aidan's Harry Potter party, I would have to say that it was the Hogwart's castle cake that Aidan wanted. My friend Monica made her daughter an impressive Hogwart's castle cake for her party and Aidan wanted one too.
 I happened to stumble across a Wilton Castle Cake kit and decided that I would use it to make the Hogwart's castle cake. After throwing a bunch of parties, I've come to notice that kids honestly can't tell whether a cake is made from scratch or not, so to save myself some time and unnecessary stress I simply baked a chocolate cake from a box mix and frosted it with vanilla frosting that I colored using grey, brown, and green food coloring. Since I absolutely hate fondant, I coated the towers of the cake in colored white chocolate. This part proved to be harder than I thought and if I ever visit “crazy town”  and decide to do this party and cake again, I will definitely being doing it my friend’s way. Using ice cream cones for the towers the way she did was definitely the smart way to go, plus you can actually eat them. Anyways, for the bottom part of the cake I used a mini oval cutter that my friend let me borrow to make rock imprints in the grey frosting, then I used a grass tip to pipe grass frosting around the base of the castle. I finished the castle off with chocolate bar doors and Harry Potter lego figures. Ta Dah!





No comments:

Post a Comment