Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cat in the Hat Cake for Caleb


On Wednesday our Caleb officially turned 3 years old! Since Caleb didn’t have preschool on his birthday, I got the joy of getting to spend good ‘ol quality time with the birthday boy. In addition to opening and playing with presents, we also spent the morning chalking some artwork on the driveway. I was pretty impressed how Caleb was able to imitate my chalk drawing of a sun!

To celebrate his birthday I decided to bake him a “Cat in the Hat” Red Velvet birthday cake. Caleb loves to watch the show “The Cat in the Hat”, and since the Cat’s hat is red and white, a Red Velvet cake seemed like a perfect fit! I chose this recipe because it was similar to the Waldorf Astoria’s Red Velvet Cake recipe, but not as complicated:

The only change I made to this recipe was that I baked the cake in a 9 X 13 inch pan (instead of the round pans) for 20 min. at 345 degrees. Then during Caleb’s naptime, I cut the cooled cake into 2 layers (carefully!), frosted it with cream cheese frosting, and topped it with a “Cat in the Hat” fondant topper I bought from Etsy.com on sale. Later in the afternoon while he was playing with Aidan in the backyard, I piped blue cream cheese frosting for the border and lettering of the cake and had Aidan decorate the sides with red M&M’s while Caleb was looking for big sticks in the backyard.

After dinner, we surprised Caleb with his special “Cat in the Hat” birthday hat and ushered him to his birthday cake at the table. When Caleb saw his birthday cake he exclaimed, “The Cat in the Hat!” and did a little dance in his chair while Aidan proudly told everyone, “I put on the M&M’s”. Happy Birthday Caleb! We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment