Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pumpkin Carving


Every year after hollowing out the pumpkins with the kids, Mike and I like to try to surprise the boys with their own jack-o-lanterns before Halloween.
2009 Jack-O-Lanterns

2010 Jack-O-Lanterns
This year I decided to surprise the boys with jack-o-lanterns carved with their favorite Pixar movie characters. For Aidan I carved Wall-E, and for Caleb I carved Remy from “Ratatouille”. This was the first year that I ever carved a pumpkin in 3 layers using a scraping technique. I copied the Wall-E outline from one of my friend’s who had carved it the previous year, and I found the Remy pumpkin stencil online. For scraping, I used an Xacto knife and a pumpkin scraping tool. Both pumpkins took me a week to carve, and although it was a fun challenge (to see if I could even do it), I don’t know if I’ll do again next year…it was a bit time consuming. However, both pumpkins turned out great. Mike was so impressed he used the Remy jack-o-lantern as his iPhone background and the kids were really happy to use their jack-o-lanterns as temporary nightlights during Halloween weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment